Curraghmore House one of the best places to visit in Waterford and a garden to visit in Ireland
Hidden in a shrubbery near the main House at Curraghmore, is the most enchanting Shell House, created by Catherine Countess of Tyrone with 'her proper' hands in 1754.
The decoration of the folly took her 261 days to complete and the intricate patterns of shells from all over the world still glow with colour above a statue of the Countess by John van Nost.
Records show that Lady Catherine herself charged Captains of ships sailing to and from the important Georgian Harbour at Waterford to collect and return shells to her from all over the World.
A recent scientific examination of the shells which adorn the walls of the Shell House has identified many exotic and rare varieties from far flung regions of the World's oceans.
Copyright 2011. All rights reserved. Website Design Waterford by Croan.ie